Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Why Go? Wednesday spotlight: Tricia Conrey



In October of 2012 I was blessed and challenged by the opportunity to answer the call to GO and care for orphans in their distress. My husband Peter and I knew that we were being called to adopt, so when the opportunity to spend a week in Haiti arose, I knew that I was meant to go.  Leaving my family behind for that week was hard, but God grew all of us during that time. It didn't take long at all for our travel group to become family. As we spent the week getting to know the children and "Mommas" at the orphanages, our hearts began to grow. They grew inwardly, as we internalized all that God was teaching us, and they grew outwardly, as we learned to trust one another with our thoughts and feelings.

Some of the most impactful times for me were at night, when we would all gather at the guest house for prayer and devotion time. This gave us a chance to talk about what we had experienced during the day. We were free to share our hearts and ask hard questions. Questions like, "How in the world can we make a difference for all of these children once we go home?" That question cemented in my heart what I had known for several years already... that God desired to grow our family through the beautiful miracle of adoption.

Since my trip to Haiti our family has taken that step of faith and we are currently in the midst of adopting our daughter; a special needs toddler from China.

When adopting or traveling on a short-term trip to care for orphans, the obstacles can seem insurmountable. There are funds to be raised, arrangements to be made, and fears to be faced. I can attest to God's faithfulness and loving care, though, and assure you that as you step out in faith and answer that call, our Heavenly Father is there with you, every step of the way. He will guide you, protect you, and hold your heart as you hold those sweet little hands.

– Tricia Conrey

No comments:

Post a Comment